Cornelius/Caesar is finished at last! I ended up extending the layout somewhat..adding another ruined pillar. (made from a piece of plastic tubing and detailed with Milliput).
Ironically, the face didn't take as long as I thought it would...his tunic, however, took many coats of paint to create an even colour without blemishes. I had fun painting the ruins around him...the grass etc came from my stash of train-set vegetation painted to blend in with the overall colour scheme. I used DAS modeling compound for the main 'sand' texture on the base followed by a sprinkling of crushed chalk pastels for the finer grade sand.