Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Beauty and the Beast

I haven't seen the film 'The Wolfman' yet, but I'm hoping it's going to be every bit as promising as the trailer I saw. I'm a huge fan of Rick Baker's work and I read somewhere that this was going to be his last film. (!?)
I'm not one of these 'all-CG is evil' types who bang on about how stuff looked SO much more convincing in the good old days. Frankly, I think that's just plain bullshit.


I do think that craftsmen like Baker however, can bring a certain artistry to a film that no amount of ray-traced reality on a computer can surpass. I know that this sort of make-up effects stuff will one day disappear completely, more because of cost cutting than for aesthetics, and so it's even more exciting to see a great master (like Rick Baker) strut his stuff for perhaps the last time.


These were done a while ago for a werewolf project (obviously). I really can't remember what the girl illo was for, I just thought it would nice to include her to balance out all the hairiness.

Hmmm, this all reminds me of a cool comic from the seventies 'Werewolf By Night' drawn by Mike Ploog (I think). Man I loved that comic.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow! Very pretty. The girl is nice, too. Yeah, Werewolf By Night was a cool book. Ploog co-created it with Gerry Conway, but Don Perlin also did some of the artwork, too.